Work Authorization Permit  / EAD

  • In order to work in the United States, based on the EAD, there must be a current, valid, and approved EAD or work authorization permit issued by US Immigration. It is not sufficient to have an EAD request pending or filed with USCIS.
  • An individual possessing a valid EAD can work for any U.S. employer.
  • The EAD may be renewed by filing with USCIS. This must be accompanied by the applicable filing fee and supporting documents.
  • If the EAD expires, an individual can apply for an EAD renewal, as long as the basis for the EAD still exists.
  • If an EAD is denied, the applicant is notified in writing of the decision and the reasons for the denial. There is no appeal of the denial; however, the applicant may submit a motion to reopen or a motion to reconsider, if there is a basis for such a request. Otherwise, it may be possible to refile the EAD.

Those with further questions are welcome to consult with an attorney at the law offices of Caro Kinsella to obtain advice on this important document.