Business & Tourism Visas
B-1 Business Visa:
To be eligible for a B-1 visa, a foreign national must have a residence in a foreign country which he or she has no intention of abandoning and must be visiting the U.S. temporarily for business or pleasure.
The foreign national must meet the following 3 general criteria:
- He or she must intend to leave the U.S. at the end of his or her temporary stay.
- He or she must have permission to enter a foreign country at the end of the temporary stay.
- Adequate financial arrangements must have been made to enable him or her to
carry out the purpose of his or her visit and depart from the United States.
The foreign national must also be coming to engage in legitimate “business” activities.
- “Business” in immigration terms means attending conventions, conferences, meetings, negotiation of contracts, litigation, discussions and other legitimate activities of a commercial or professional nature, serving on the board of directors of a U.S. Corporation, seeking entry to the U.S. as an investor seeking to make an investment in the U.S.
- “Business” in immigration terms does not include entering the country to perform building or construction work, whether on-site or in-plant. However, a foreign national may be qualified for a B-1 visa if he or she is coming to the U.S. to supervise or train others who are engaged in building or construction work. “Business” in immigration terms also does not include “labor for hire.”
- The foreign national must not receive any remuneration from a U.S. source.
- Will initially get up to six (6) months and can extend for a further six (6) months.
B-2 Tourist Visa:
- For recreational activities incl. tourism, visiting friends/ relatives, medical/health reasons, fraternal/ social conventions, amateur arts/athletics.
- Visa required, unless eligible for Visa Waiver.
- Requires proof of non-immigrant intent, foreign residence with the intent to return, “ties” to your home country.
- Consulate officers have non-reviewable discretion to deny a visa if doubts exist regarding immigrant intent.
- Period of admission up to six months.
- Can apply for Extension of status/change of status, unless admitted as VWP (visa waiver program).