• The U.S. Department has launched a website devoted exclusively to intercountry adoption:
  • The Hague Adoption Convention, which entered into force for the U.S. on April 1, 2008, protects the welfare of children, birth parent(s) and adoptive parent(s) engaged in intercountry adoptions. Effective April 1, 2008, new intercountry adoptions between the United States and other Hague Convention countries must comply with Hague Adoption Convention standards.
  • To adopt a child from another country and bring that child to live in the United States, you must be found eligible to adopt under U.S. law. The Federal agency that makes this determination is the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), part of the Department of Homeland Security. You may not bring an adopted child (or a child for whom you have gained legal custody for the purpose of emigration and adoption) into the United States until USCIS determines that you are eligible to adopt from another country.

National Requirements:

In order to bring a foreign-born child whom you’ve adopted to the United States, you must meet certain requirements. Some of the basic requirements include the following:

  • You must be a U.S. Citizen.
  • If you are unmarried, you must be at least 25 years old.
  • If you are married, you must jointly adopt the child (even if you are separated but not divorced), and your spouse must also be either a U.S. citizen or in legal status in the United States.
  • You must meet certain requirements that will determine your suitability as a prospective adoptive parent, including criminal background checks, fingerprinting, and a home study.

Those with further questions are welcome to consult with an attorney at the law offices of Caro Kinsella to obtain advice on this important document